Scorching heat and exorbitant humidity leads to low energy levels, lack of appetite and dehydration at the end of the day. In such climate, our body needs cooling foods that will keep us hydrated and our energy levels stable. So this summer, add these following foods in your diet and beat the Indian summer heat!!
- Curd: This is one of the traditional foods used by Indians to cool the body during the summers. It is good for our gut flora and the bacteria present in it have the capability to destroy the ulcer forming bacteria. It also aids in digestion and boosts immunity.
- Kokum: It is a small, dark purple plum found only in India. This is commonly consumed in a juice form and helps prevent dehydration, replenishes electrolytes and improves appetite.
- Coconut water: Tender coconut water is a rich source of natural electrolytes during the summers. This potassium rich drink will keep your energy levels stable and will keep you hydrated.
- Herbs (Mint and Coriander): Herbs are well known cooling foods and will keep you hydrated. They are filled with antioxidants which will protect the body from damaging effects of the sun. You can add mint or coriander in most of the smoothies and juices. You could also include a mint or coriander chutney and benefit from this cool food.
- Fruits (Watermelon, citrus fruits like orange, sweet lime): Watermelon is the most common fruit relished in the summers. Likewise citrus fruits like orange, sweet lime are also excellent choices this summer. They are rich in antioxidants, vitamins and minerals which will take care of your skin while simultaneously cooling your body.
- Vegetables: Just like fruits, vegetables also aid in hydrating the body and replenishing the nutrients. Vegetables such as cucumber, tomatoes, lettuce, cabbage and zucchini are considered soothing vegetables in this scorching sun.
Drinks and Smoothies to Hydrate Yourself in Summers!!
Dehydration can lead to fatigue, dizziness and headache. Since it is very easy to get dehydrated during the summers, one should keep hydrating themselves often to avoid any problems. Water is the best hydrating drink but you can also hydrate yourself with flavoured infused water, coconut water, buttermilk, fruit shakes, lassi, flavoured milk, cold coffee, flavoured iced tea etc.
You can also hydrate yourself with these easy to make chilled smoothies to beat the Indian summer heat!!
- Electrolyte Booster Smoothie: Put together tender coconut water, apple, amla juice, mint leaves, grind together and strain. Coconut water is the best hydrating drink during the summers because of its wonderful cooling properties. It is packed with electrolytes and essential minerals which help keep the body well hydrated.
- Coolant Smoothie: Grind watermelon, mint, ginger, lime, parsley, fennel seeds, together in a mixer and strain. Watermelon will keep you hydrated and fresh throughout the day. Lycopene present in watermelon helps to protect against sun damage. Cool it and benefit from the antioxidants present in this delicious fruit.
The ultimate aim of eating right during the summer is to provide ample nutrition and to keep your body hydrated. This will ensure better health, skin, stable energy levels and will keep you fit this summer.