When you think of summers, the image that comes to most of our minds is beach, swimming, games, ice cream, and summer vacations etc. For all these activities to be possible, we need our energy levels to be high and maximum. However, with this excruciating heat, we tend to feel dehydrated, fatigue and low.
In order to uplift our energy levels, most of us would look at sugar or caffeine to give us a boost. However, fresh, unprocessed foods will boost your energy levels much better than sugary or caffeinated beverages. Sugar and caffeinated beverages are not helpful in the long run, they will lead to more sugar caving and eventually headache.
One of the best ways is to instantly kick up your energy levels to all time high is to include energy- enriching foods. These foods will also help with lifting mood and focus. During the summers, however with low energy levels, appetite decreases too and most of us would rather enjoy a drink than eating something.
So here are some easy to make homemade energy drinks to beat the heat this summer, eliminate tiredness and boost energy levels.
- Radiant Skin Smoothie: Mix pineapple, aloe vera juice, mint leaves, green apple grind using chilled water and strain. Pineapple tends to have a good mix of vitamins and antioxidants. They also contain enzymes like bromelain that can protect your body against inflammation.
- Low Calorie Smoothie: Mix cucumber, coriander leaves, green apple and lime together, grind using cold water and strain. Cucumber is made of 90 percent water and is known as a soothing vegetable. Cucumber helps by hydrating the body and replenishing the nutrients.
- Kokum Juice: Put together kokum, cardamom, cumin seeds, fennel seeds grind using chilled water and strain. Kokum is a healthy and refreshing natural coolant. It is rich in vitamin C and has antioxidant properties. It helps to hydrate the body and improve appetite.
- Iced tea: Take 2 litres of water, boil using green tea. Cool and add lemongrass, mint and some cut fruits. Iced tea is an antioxidant rich drink which will keep the energy levels boosted and the body hydrated throughout the day.
- Apple Smoothies: Mix slim milk, apple, almonds, elaichi powder together, grind and enjoy with ice cubes. Apple milkshakes can also be a perfect solution which will effectively enhance the energy flow in your body. An apple milk shake, especially a chilled one, will keep you active throughout the day.
- Mango Smoothie: Mix mango, slim milk, sugar grind together and enjoy it with ice cubes. Mango pulp is rich in vitamins, minerals and potassium. This smoothie will charge you up with ample energy.
After a long day at work, indulge in any one of these smoothies to keep you energised. These summer smoothies not only taste great, but they also provide the body with water and a combination of nutrition, keeping you healthy and happy. Go easy on fruit juices, sodas, soft drinks, energy drinks which will cause an immediate weight gain. Eat healthy and beat the summer heat!!
(Inputs by Nutritionist Harpreet Pasricha )