Alzheimer is a common disease for people during old age in which their brain capacity fades off. People with Alzheimer usually show symptoms like confusion, difficulty in focusing, thinking, understanding, sudden anger, loneliness or mood swings, depression, hallucination etc.
Alzheimer can happen to anyone but if care is taken at earliest possible it will help in the long run. Here are some of the dietary guideline which will help you prevent Alzheimer.
- Omega 3 fatty acids is a power nutrient for the brain. Termed as one of the most important nutrient used to fight against Alzheimer. Docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) is main Omega 3 that helps reduce risk of Alzheimer. Food sources including flaxseeds, walnut, sardines, salmons, soya bean, tofu etc.
Including 2-3 servings of fatty fish in your diet weekly will increase DHA levels in blood and may lower the risk of dementia.
- Medium chain Triglycerides (MCTs) are found abundant in coconut oil and desi ghee helps improve memory, language, thinking and judgment in people with Alzheimer. For people diagnosed with Alzheimer 6 servings of coconut oil/desi ghee has shown to reduce symptoms.
- People with Alzheimer are advised to include green leafy vegetables like kale, broccoli, spinach, amaranth, fenugreek leaves, cabbage etc. By including these veggies in the diet, around 6 or more servings per week can protect from neurodegenerative disorders.
- Berries like strawberries, blueberries, raspberry, gooseberry and other dark skinned fruits are used to treat Alzheimer’s by protecting the brain and improving cognitive function. Consuming it twice a week can help with treating Alzheimer.
- Beans are high in proteins and fibers and low in fat and calories. An ideal food to keep your mind sharp. Beans like soya beans, broad beans, field beans, kidney beans, French beans etc. can be a major part on your plate. Include it at least three times a week in your diet to reduce the risk of Alzheimer.