This healthy alternative to processed tomato ketchup can be served with paneer dumplings or crunchy chicken lollipops. It is a good source of Vitamin A, C and K and helps in improving vision. The sauce can also be used to toss pasta and even for marinating non-vegetarian food.
- 3 ripe plum tomatoes
- 2 heads garlic, cloves peeled and halved lengthwise
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- ¾ teaspoon hot red-pepper flakes
- ½ tsp salt
- Slit the tomatoes slightly and blanch in a large pot of boiling water for 10 seconds.
- Immediately transfer tomatoes with a spoon to an ice bath to cool, then peel, deseed, and chop.
- Cook garlic in oil in a small heavy pot over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until golden, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, red pepper flakes, and half teaspoon salt and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally.
- Season with salt.