- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3/4 cup onions, chopped
- 2 tsp garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 cups mushrooms, stem removed and sliced
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper powder
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup barley (jau), soaked and half-cooked
- 2 tbsp parsley, freshly chopped
- 1/2 tbsp lime juice
- Salt to taste
- Soak the Barley in enough water for 30 minutes. Drain and keep aside.
- Boil 3 to 4 cups of water, add the Barley and cook on a medium flame for 8 to 10 minutes or till it is 50% cooked. Strain and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan, add the onions, garlic and sautee on a medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms, pepper and salt and sautee on a medium flame for another 5-7 minutes till the mushrooms are tender.
- Add the vegetable stock, Barley and 1 cup of water, mix well and simmer on a slow flame for 10 to 12 minutes or till the Barley is completely cooked.
- Remove from the flame, add the parsley and lime juice and mix well.
- Serve hot.