- 1 tsp paprika/ chilli powder
- salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- ¼ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1.5 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp lime juice
- 75 gms packages extra-firm or firm water-packed tofu, drained
- 1 tbsp nonfat plain yoghurt
- 6 tablespoons sliced scallions or chopped fresh cilantro for garnish
- Preheat grill to medium-high.
- Combine paprika, ½ teaspoon salt, cumin, coriander and turmeric in a small bowl. Heat oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add garlic, lime juice and the spice mixture; cook, stirring, sizzling and fragrant, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat.
- Slice each tofu block crosswise into 6 slices; pat dry. Use about 3 tablespoons of the spiced oil to brush both sides of the tofu slices; sprinkle with the remaining ½ teaspoon salt. (Reserve the remaining spiced oil.)
- Oil the grill rack (see Tip). Grill the tofu until it has grill marks and is heated through, 2 to 3 minutes per side.
- Combine yogurt with the reserved spiced oil in a small bowl. Serve the grilled tofu with the yogurt sauce, garnished with scallions (or cilantro), if desired.
-Kitchen Tip: To oil a grill rack, oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.)